Many have accidentally reported text as junk on iOS 17 devices. Users often fear that they have blocked the contact from texting them. There is confusion among the new iPhone users. We will tell you what the “Report Junk” does and clear the doubts surrounding it. We have shown you how to block and unblock the contact on the latest iOS.
- When do you Report Text Message as Junk?
- What happens when you accidentally report text as junk on iMessage?
- How to block Unknown Sender on iOS 16?
- How to enable Spam Filters on iOS
- How to find Junk Messages on your iPhone?
- How to unblock Unknown or Known Contacts
When do you Report Text Message as Junk?
There are several reasons why you end up accidentally reporting texts as junk. It is a common mistake, and you should not bother much. But by knowing the reasons you can be careful and avoid it the next time.
The following are the reasons when you report text as junk:
- Deleting Messages: Unnecessary messages in your inbox lead to clutter. Often you would have important messages, but you no longer needed them. You would head over to delete them but accidentally report them as junk.
- Negligence: It would happen that you have opened your Messages app and simultaneously multitasked. You would ignore your inbox and negligently report the text as junk.
- Mischievous Little Ones: You would have your little or small children around you excited to use your iPhone. Unanimously, they accidentally report text which can lead to a hassle.
- Fraudulent Pranks: You might find a message fraudulent or a threat to security and report it as junk. But then you know it was one of your friend’s pranks.
In such scenarios, you end up accidentally reporting text as junk. But, to fix it, you can undo your action, and the following section will help you!
What happens when you accidentally report text as junk on iMessage?
No matter if you have accidentally reported someone as junk or deliberately, the consequences would be the same. When you click on Report Junk, your carrier will inform Apple about the junk message. Moreover, it will notify the other person that the message is not delivered. The other person would often resend the message. Besides, when you mark an email as junk, newer emails will automatically go into the Spam folder and not your Inbox. Hence, you will not be notified about them unless you check the Spam box. You can choose to Empty Spam, which will never reach your Primary mails.
All companies collect some form of information from the users. Apple collects spam contact data from users. The “Report Junk” helps the Cupertino-based company identify the annoying senders. iPhone informs users about spam caller ID to prevent annoying experiences.
Carriers don’t share spam call lists with third-party companies. The smartphone manufacturers invest capital in the company and become a partner. Companies can acquire the spam number list from the carriers through hefty investment. In short, you are not sending “Report Junk” info to the telecommunication company.
Users don’t have to worry about blocking contact from the iPhone or Apple ID. The “Report Junk” button won’t restrict the sender. The mobile number owner doesn’t have to worry about a few junk reports.
How to block Unknown Sender on iOS 16?
If someone abuses you through violent texts and sends irrelevant messages, it disturbs you from the core. Apart from that, people claim you have won a lucky draw and try to fetch your details for fraudulent activities. You would often find spammers that intend to waste your time.
iOS software allows users to block a contact on the iPhone and iPad. Read the tutorial a couple of times, then apply the solution. I have shown you how to restrict the unknown and unknown sender on the latest iOS 16.
- Open the Messages app.
- Tap the conversation.
- Click the contact name on the top of the screen.
- Tap the “Info” button.
- Tap the “Block this caller” option.
- Tap the “Block contact” button.
You won’t receive a message from the contact anymore. You will receive calls from the user, but they won’t be able to compose an SMS.
How to enable Spam Filters on iOS
The iOS software detects the SMS type and filters them for you. You can remove multiple threads put together in the order in one place. Users don’t have to delete texts and have all of them in one instead. I have shown you how to enable the auto-filter feature on iOS 16.
- Open the Settings app from the Home Screen.
- Tap the “Messages” option.
- Click the “Unknown & Spam” option.
- Tap the “Filter Unknown Sender” button.
- Tap the “SMS Filter” feature.
The iPhone and iPad will filter messages and put them in one place. You don’t have to maintain the order in the Messages and let the smartphone do the job.
How to find Junk Messages on your iPhone?
When you mark messages as junk, you should know where the text is stored. Like in the case of fraudulent activities or abusers, you would abruptly make them junk. However, you would often need it for security reasons. Like if the scenario is worst, or you think of lodging a cyber complaint or similar reasons.
Here’s how you can find junk messages on your iPhone:
- Head over to iPhone Settings and open the Messages section.
- Navigate to Message Filtering and tap on Unknown & Spam.
Here, you will find all the Junk Messages on your iPhone. You can remove them all by hitting the Clear All button.
When you click on report junk, the iPhone deletes the message from the Messages app. However, if you want to retrieve it, you can use iTunes or iCloud if you have a backup. Another method is to use a third-party app, but we do not recommend using it. To keep yourself safe from Security breaches, avoid using third-party tools for the purpose.
How to unblock Unknown or Known Contacts
It is quite common and not a big mistake. However, you would need to undo your action so you do not miss critical updates.
I have shown you how to block a contact on the iPhone and iPad. What if you have made a mistake in the past and want to correct it later? Let me show you how to undo the changes in the Messages app.
- Open the Settings app from the Home Screen.
- Click the “Messages” option.
- Tap the “Blocked Contacts” option.
- Find the mobile number from the list and swipe left.
- Tap the “Unblock” button.
You can remove the contacts from the prohibited list and let them text you. Your smartphone won’t stop the sender to reach out via iMessage and regular SMS.
Often out of negligence or multitasking, you would end up marking texts as junk unnecessarily. Doing so, it will delete the message from your inbox and report it to Apple. The company needs several spam reports from iPhone and iPad to label the mobile number as “junk”. One junk report won’t harm the contact, and Apple will ignore it.