You would have waited for a day and then not get the Activation Unsuccessful on iMessage in iOS 15 and 16. Several reasons include:
- Unstable network connection.
- Inaccurate Date and Time.
- Minor bugs.
- Trouble on iMessage from Apple.
- Outdated iOS.
- Corrupt Network Settings.
Don’t worry, we have got you all covered to tackle the iMessage waiting for activation or iMessage unsuccessful error on iPhone or iPad.
- Check your iOS Device Network Connection
- Set iPhone Date and Time Automatically
- Sign out and sign in Apple ID from your iPhone
- Check system status on Apple’s system status page
- Turn off iOS Messages and turn it on again
- Update or Upgrade iOS with the latest version
- iPhone Reset Network Settings
Check your iOS Device Network Connection
You should resolve this if you have unstable network connectivity while activating iMessage. First, you should check if your WiFi or Mobile data is at fault or not. Further, you can reconnect them and check. If your WiFi or data is not at risk, then you should use Flight Mode so that your iOS re-establish connectivity.
If there was nothing with your network, then the issue could also be from Apple’s side.
Set iPhone Date and Time Automatically
If your iOS Date and Time settings are inaccurate, it can lead to activation unsuccessful in iMessage. It happens when your phone is not in sync with your location’s date and Time. To prevent the issue, you should ensure that the Date and Time Settings on your iOS are correct. Even if not, you should set it to automatic to avoid other issues.
Follow the steps given below to set the date and time automatically on your iOS:
- Open the Settings and go to the General.
- Navigate to Date and Time and turn on Set Automatically.
When the Set Automatically Date and Time option is enabled, your device automatically sets a time zone that you don’t have enough time to change again, even if you have recently travelled. It would have been fixed if the issue had been due to an inaccurate date and time. However, it might also be that you would have tried to activate iMessage in the presence of an unstable network. So, the next method will fix it for you!
Sign out and sign in Apple ID from your iPhone
Another possible reason is that your Apple ID is not set up properly on your iOS. If it is not set up properly, you can again set it up. However, while doing so, you must sign out from your iOS again.
Follow the steps given below to sign out and sign in Apple ID on your iOS device:
- Open the Settings app and tap on your name to open your Apple ID.
- Now, click on Sign Out.
- Enter your Apple ID credentials to confirm.
After you are signed out, sign in again with your Apple ID. There might also be some minor issues interfering with iMessage Activation leading to the “An error occurred during iMessage activation”.
Check system status on Apple’s system status page
There might be a possibility that nothing is wrong with your iMessage, but there’s a technical issue with Apple’s Server. It can be a probability, so you can visit Apple’s System Status Page.
Now, check if all the services all working properly or not. Here you are concerned with iMessage, so check whether there is a green circle or a red one towards the left of iMessage. If there is a red one, it is not working, and if there is a green one, there is nothing to bother about.
Turn off iOS Messages and turn it on again
To eliminate minor issues with your device that act as an obstruction to successfully activating iMessage, you should reboot your iOS to fix it. Before the process, it would be better to turn off iMessage!
Follow the steps given below to fix iMessage Activation Unsuccessful using the reboot option:
- Head over to Settings and navigate to Messages.
- Toggle off the iMessage button.
- Press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously till you see the Power Off slider.
- Drag the slider towards the right and wait till your iOS shuts down.
- Now, press and hold the Power button till you see the Apple logo on your screen.
Your device has now rebooted. However, you might have to turn on iMessage after the process.
- Open Settings > Messages > Toggle on the iMessage.
If your iPhone or iPad software is not updated, there could also be an iMessage Activation error.
Update or Upgrade iOS with the latest version
You can update your device’s software to eliminate bugs and keep up with the latest Apple features. Therefore, your device will function optimally without any error.
Follow the steps given below to update your iOS:
- Connect WiFi or Internet and Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Navigate to General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Click on Install Now and wait for it.
Your iOS will be updated to the latest version in some time, depending on your data speed. However, if your device is already updated to the latest version and still you are getting Activation Unsuccessful on iOS Messages then your Network Settings are corrupted. The below method will help you out!
iPhone Reset Network Settings
The Reset Network Settings will not wipe you data, however you would have to configure Wifi, Hotspot, and Data Usage Settings once again.
- Go to the Settings and open General.
- Navigate to Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset and then click on Reset Network Settings.
- Enter the Passcode and your device Network Settings will be reset.
This will reset all your network settings to default. So, any inappropriate network configurations or corrupt Network Settings will fix the issue.
Kudos, if you are struggling with Waiting for activation on iMessage in any iOS device, you can effectively fix it now. Depending upon the cause of inactivation, several methods will help you.
Your iMessage or FaceTime would take longer to activate. In such a scenario, you can try restarting your iOS or again login in with your Apple ID for the same.